Strawberry shortcake has always been one of my favorite summer desserts. Long before my vegan days my sister and I would go to this fast food resturaunt called Burgerville. It’s likely a place you have never heard of unless you’re from Oregon. They are known for, you guessed it burgers, but also for milkshakes.
In June they would start their strawberry shortcakes. They had this delicious biscuit style shortcake with ice cream, whip cream and the best Oregon grown strawberries. We had convinced them (before they thought about cross contamination) to make us a strawberry shortcake milkshake. It was the BEST thing.
I guess that may have been the start of my love for Strawberry Shortcake. I feel like there is a lot of different kinds of shortcakes that people enjoy. There is the spongey one from the store, pound cake, or the biscuit type. I am definetely in the biscuit type, but I would never turn down a vegan pound cake. The spongey one, however, doesn’t do it for me.
With that being said, this rides the biscuit line. This cake isn’t overly sweet, because I wanted the sweetness to come from the strawberries. It’s a perfect texture to soak up some strawberry juice, but not become overly soggy.
What to do you need for this Vegan Strawberry Shortcake?
flour All purpose
- White & Brown Sugar
- Baking Powder
- Earth Balance Vegan Butter
- Vegan Buttermilk (your fav plant milk + 1 TB Vinegar)
- Vanilla + Almond Extract
- So Delicious Coco whip or your favorite vegan whip cream
Let’s make it!
You’re going to start with making your biscuit cake. You make this just like you would biscuits. Make up your vegan buttermilk first. If you have never done this it’s super easy. Take your liquid measuring cup, add 1 TB of white vinegar, then fill it up to the 1 cup line and let it sit while you work with the other ingredients.
Mix your dry ingredients, then get your cold vegan butter out. I like to take my vegan butter and cut it into small pieces then throw it into the flour mixture and use a pastry cutter to get it all evenly distributed.
Once your butter is all mixed, you can add your extracts to the vegan buttermilk and then add it to your flour/butter mixture. I use a wooden spoon and mix this until it’s just combined. It will look a little messy.
Take a greased and floured 9
While this biscuit cake is cooking you want to start on your strawberries. Cut them into your desired shape and sizes and put them in a small bowl. Add as much or as little sugar as they need, this will depend on the ripeness of the berries. I like to add just a very small touch of almond extract to the berries + sugar combo to give it a little extra flavor.
When it comes to assembling this vegan strawberry shortcake you can carefully cut it in half. Then add a layer of strawberries and whip cream, put the top layer on and do the same on the top. When I serve this I serve it with a scoop of strawberries + juices to really saturate the flavor. We also love to add some vegan vanilla ice cream.
What style of shortcake is your favorite? Let me know in the comments!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 TB white sugar
- 2 TB brown sugar
- 1 TB baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance Vegan Butter,cold
- 1 cup Vegan buttermilk ( 1 TB vinegar to plant milk)
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 TB white sugar (for sprinkling on top)
- 1-2 pounds strawberries *depending on how many you like
- sugar for the strawberries
- 1 container So Delicious Cool whip
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and grease a 9 inch cake pan and set aside.
- Make your vegan buttermilk by taking an empty liquid measuring cup, add 1 TB white vinegar and fill it the rest of the 1 cup with plant milk of your choice, stir and set aside.
- Get a medium mixing bowl and put all your dry ingredients and mix.
- Take your cold butter and cut it into small pieces, then add it to the flour and cut in with a pastry cutter until it's course crumbs and evenly distrubuted.
- Add your extracts to the vegan buttermilk and then pour the buttermilk/extracts into the flour mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon until incorporated, don't over stir. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth out, it will be fairly thick.
- Sprinkle 3 TB of white sugar evenly over the top and cook in preheated oven for 22-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- While the cake is cooking make your strawberries. Cut them into desired size and add your desired sugar amount depending on how sweet your berries are.
- When assembling the cake, cut the cake in half carefully. Take half your So delicious whipped topping and spread it in the middle layer, then layer with strawberries. Put the top half on and then to the same. Then put in the fridge until ready to serve. You can serve with more strawberries if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 420Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 837mgCarbohydrates: 62gFiber: 4gSugar: 25gProtein: 7g
The calories are computer generated and may not be 100% accurate.