These vegan hand pies are the perfect mini fruit pies. They can be cut into multiple shapes and are tasty as they are cute. You can use any fruit tucked into a delicious flaky crust.
There is something so cute about these hand pies. I like anything in the mini version. These vegan strawberry hand pies are perfect for a summer BBQ.
Hand pies are a grab-and-go dessert that has its mess contained into a little handheld treat.
This is the perfect way to use up the summer's amazing berries! If you're looking for another way to use summers bounty then check out these fruit recipes; Vegan Fruit Pizza or a classic Vegan Strawberry Shortcake.
I don't think I could pick my favorite part of the summer, but fresh berries are high up on the list.
Living in Oregon I feel like we have some of the best berries around. We have to have something in return for all the rain we endure.
We always grow strawberries in our garden so we can have fresh strawberries in the summer.
For this recipe, you only need a cup of berries. The riper, the better.
This recipe's delicious pie crust can make savory hand pies or sweet.
This recipe, in particular, is for strawberry hands pies, but you can sub in what you want in terms of berries.
This pie crust has oil and not vegan butter, but it still tastes as delicious as the buttery pie crust you know and love, plus it's super easy to make.
You don't need any special equipment.
What kind of oil should you use for the vegan pie crust?
A neutral oil does not have a lot of flavor on its own.
I typically use vegetable oil or canola oil.
I wouldn't use olive oil as that has too strong of a flavor.
You could use coconut oil, but again depending on if it's refined or not, it may taste like coconut.
Can you make these vegan hand pies gluten-free?
If you use all-purpose gluten-free flour, you should be able to use it in a 1:1 ratio.
Can you use other fruit?
Yes, if you want to make a different flavor of hand pies, you can.
I would recommend sticking to another berry and not an apple filling unless you're just using the crust and a different apple pie filling recipe.
This is because apples will cook differently than berries.
Here are some other berry ideas;
- raspberry hand pies
- blackberry hand pies
- cherry hand pies
- blueberry hand pies
- marionberry hand pies
What ingredients do you need to make vegan homemade hand pies?
- all purpose flour
- ice cold water
- neutral oil
- white sugar
- strawberries, chopped
- brown sugar
- white sugar
- vanilla extract
- almond extract
- fresh lemon
- powdered sugar
- vanilla extract
- almond extract
- nondairy milk
How do you make vegan strawberry hand pies?
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees, prepare a cookie sheet with a Silpat or parchment paper to make a lined baking sheet, and set it aside.
Get a small bowl, mix all your strawberry filling together, and set it aside.
Make the vegan homemade pie crust-
To make the pie crust, start by taking a medium bowl to add the flour, salt, and sugar- mix well.
Then add your oil mix with a wooden spoon.
Next, add your 4 TBs ice water and mix until it's smooth and not dry, but not wet just until dough forms.
Divide the ball of dough into two small balls.
Keep one ball of dough in the bowl, and the other place it on a Silpat on a flat surface.
Grab a sheet of plastic wrap, place it over your dough ball, roll the rolling pin over the plastic wrap (to prevent sticking), and roll until it's pretty thin but not too thin that it'll break.
Then take the largest cup mouth you have. I used an oversized coffee mug; mine is about 4 inches.
Or use a large round cookie cutter.
And make circle cuts like you would for sugar cookies.
Take your dough circle, then take your filling and put 1-2 TB of filling into your circles of dough, not too much that it won't close.
Then fold it over itself and crimp the edges with a fork.
Take a spatula and move the mini pies to the prepared baking sheet.
Make small cuts or holes on the top of each hand pie, so it has space to vent while cooking.
Repeat with the remaining dough and second dough ball.
You can add a cute little dough cut out on the top of the pie if you have extra pie dough and want to.
Brush the tops with some plant milk before going into the oven. This is similar to an egg wash without the egg.
How many hand pies you get will depend on how thin or thick you want your dough.
Bake your vegan hand pies for 15-20 minutes, depending on the thickness of the pie crust.
While they are cooking, make your glaze.
Take a small bowl and combine your glaze ingredients with a fork or a small whisk until smooth.
Once they have been sitting for about 10-15 minutes, drizzle your glaze over them. The flavors are best after these sit for an hour or two.
How do you serve vegan hand pies?
These hand pies are best served the day they are made at room temperature.
How do you store them?
It's best to serve this perfect treat in the fridge in an airtight container and let it come to room temperature before serving.
If you're serving the same day, there is no need to place them in the fridge.
Can you freeze sweet hand pies?
You can freeze them, but they taste the best fresh. To freeze, do a flash freeze by;
Take a cookie sheet lined, place vegan fruit hand pie in a single file, and freeze them; after they are frozen (an hour or so), put them in the freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
Defrost- Place them on the counter out of their package until defrosted.
Want some other vegan dessert recipes?
Vegan Mini Strawberry Hand pies
- 1 ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 TB ice water
- ½ cup neutral oil
- 4 TB white sugar
- 1 cup strawberries chopped
- 2 TB brown sugar
- 2 TB white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- ¾ of a small zest of a lemon
- 2 TB cornstarch
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 TB plant milk
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees, prepare a cookie sheet with a Silpat and set aside.
- Get a small bowl, mix all your strawberry filling together, and set it aside.
- Make your pie crust. Start by taking a medium bowl. Add the flour, salt, and sugar- mix well. Then add your oil, mix with a wooden spoon. Then add your 4 TBs of ice water and mix until it's smooth and not dry, but not wet. Divide the dough into two small balls. Keep one ball in the bowl and the other place on a Silpat. Grab a sheet of saran wrap and place it over your dough ball, then roll over the saran wrap (to prevent sticking), roll until it's pretty thin, but not too thin that it will break. Then take the largest cup mouth you have. I used an oversized coffee mug; mine is about 4 inches. And make circle cuts like you would for sugar cookies. Then take your filling and put 1-2 TB of filling, not too much that it won't close. Then fold it over itself and crimp the edges with a fork. Take a spatula and move the hand pie to the prepared baking sheet. Make a slit or holes on the top of the hand pie, so it has space to vent while cooking—repeat with the remaining dough and second dough ball. You can add a cute little dough cut out on the top of the pie if you have extra and want to. Brush the tops with some plant milk before going into the oven.
- How many hand pies you get will depend on how thin or thick you want your dough. Mine cooked through in around 15-20 minutes, depending on the thickness.
- While they are cooking, make your glaze. Once they have been sitting for about 10-15 minutes, drizzle your glaze over them. The flavors are best after these sit for an hour or two.
If you loved this recipe then give it a 5 star rating and leave a comment! I love to chat with you all. Please feel free to share on social media and tag #courtneyshomestead. I would love to see you over on Instagram or Facebook.
42 Refreshing Fruit Pie Recipes: Savor the Flavors of Your Homegrown Produce - Minneopa Orchards
Monday 24th of April 2023
[…] Vegan Apple Pie Vegan Cherry Pie Vegan Strawberry Hand Pies […]
Sunday 13th of February 2022
Although internet websites we backlink to below are considerably not related to ours, we feel they may be really really worth a go via, so have a look.
Sunday 6th of February 2022
One of our guests recently suggested the following website.
Monday 15th of March 2021
https://waterfallmagazine.com Hi there, i read your blog occasionally and i own a similar one and i was just curious if you get a lot of spam remarks? If so how do you prevent it, any plugin or anything you can suggest? I get so much lately it's driving me mad so any assistance is very much appreciated.