This easy vegan apple pie requires no rolling of pie crust, it has a delicious crumb bottom and top. This is perfect if you’re short on time and don’t want to mess with a pie crust recipe. This recipe does not disappoint.
Apple pie is another one high up on the list for delicious pies for me.
And what I love most about the best easy vegan apple pie is that it truly is easy.
There is no messing with a difficult pie crust.
You make a quick and easy dough (similar to making cookies), put a layer on the bottom and top, and fill the middle with cinnamon and sugar apples.
No rolling pin, pastry cutter, food processor, or careful mixing.
The bottom crust and the top crust are the same.
The crust makes this not exactly a classic vegan apple pie, but it is the best pie when it comes to a vegan apple pie recipe I’ve made.
The longest part about the recipe is A. the cooking time and B. the apple preparation part.
If you have an apple peeler and corer then you’re off to a good start.
If you do not you can still get the job done.
You just have to do it by hand.
The trickiest part about apple pie is getting the apples to the proper thinness.
Why is thinness important in apples when making vegan apple pies?
Well, if your apple pie slices are too thick they won’t cook quick enough and then you’ll have a crunchy apple pie.
I don’t think many people like crunchy apple pies.
So cut those babies thin and you will be on your way to a delicious apple pie.
What are the best apples to use in this perfect dessert?
I use a variety of apples whenever I make a homemade apple pie.
People usually say to only use tart apples, but I prefer the complexity of different flavors sour and sweet apples are perfect for apple desserts.
I always use a mix of gala, pink lady, granny smith apples, and whatever is on sale. As long as it isn’t a mushy apple.
How do you store this?
I let this pie cool down completely to room temperature before covering it with plastic wrap. I always leave this in its pie plate on the counter covered and will last for up to 5 days or so. For best results, I wouldn’t make this over 2 days before the event you need it for.
Can this fall dessert be made ahead of time?
Yes, I almost always make this the day before the event. For best results, I wouldn’t make this over 2 days before the event you need it for.
If you want more of a traditional apple pie you could make one using a homemade vegan pie crust and just use the apple filling for the recipe but add an additional 1/4 cup of brown and white sugar and you’ll have more of a classic apple pie a vegan version of course.
The reason why you have to add more sugar if you’re making a regular pie crust is because in this crumble pie version all the sugar in the pie is in the crust.
However, this pie is so good you don’t even miss the layers of flaky crust in traditional pie crust.
And I think this could be added to your classic holiday desserts list.
What do you need for this vegan best apple pie?
- 6-7 apple
- white and brown sugar
- vegan butter
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- vegan milk (almond, oat, soy milk, whatever you want)
How do you make this easy vegan apple recipe?
Here’s the full recipe.
Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees and grease a pie pan, set aside.
You’re going to start with making your apple pie filling. If you don’t have a peeler and corer then core them, take the skin off and then slice them as thin as you can.
Place them in a large bowl.
Make your apple filling take a small bowl and combine the 1 TB white sugar, 1 TB brown sugar, and 1 TB cinnamon, mix until combined.
Add that mixture to the apple slices and gently stir until all combined and set aside the apple mixture.
Now we will start on the crust.
Take your stand mixer with a large mixing bowl and place your flour mixture and all the crust ingredients.
You want your vegan butter to be a little bit melted.
Stir all of these together until combined.
Now take half of the dough and press it into the pie dish, for the bottom of the pie crust and sides.
Now pour the sliced apples on top of the crust and spread evenly.
Take the remaining pie crust and crumble it over the top of the apples.
You will likely have a few apples poking through and that’s okay you just want it mostly covered.
Bake in the preheated oven for 45-60 minutes.
Start checking the pie for doneness at the 40-minute mark. Take a fork or toothpick to check and see if the apples are soft, if not continue baking the top will be a light golden brown.
Let this cool for a couple of hours for the best flavor, and for it to set up.
When ready to serve you can reheat it slightly for a warm piece of delicious vegan apple pie and vegan ice cream.
You could also drizzle this with some vegan caramel sauce I’ve also seen people drizzle their apple pies with maple syrup.
Want some more vegan dessert options perfect for holiday dinners?
- 6-7 apples, cored, peeled, sliced.
- 1 TB white sugar
- 1 TB brown sugar
- 1 TB Cinnamon
- 1.5 sticks vegan butter, partially melted.
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp plant milk
- Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees and grease a pie pan, set aside.
- You're going to start with your apples. If you don't have a peeler and corer than core them, take the skin off and then slice them as thin as you can. Place them in a bowl. Now take a small bowl and combine the 1 TB white sugar, 1 TB brown sugar, and 1 TB cinnamon, mix until combined. Now add that mixture to the apples and gently stir until all combined and set aside.
- Now we will start on the crust. Take your stand mixer and place all the crust ingredients. You want your vegan butter to be a little bit melted. Stir all of these together until combined.
- Now take half of the dough and press it into the pie dish, on the bottom and sides. Pour the prepared apple mixture on top of the crust and spread evenly. Take the remaining pie crust and crumble it over the apples. You will likely have a few apples poking through and that's okay you just want it mostly covered.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45-60 minutes. Start checking the pie for doneness at the 40-minute mark. Take a fork or toothpick to check and see if the apples are soft, if not continue baking.
- Let this cool for a couple of hours, when ready to serve you can reheat it slightly for a warm piece of apple pie and vegan ice cream.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 piece of pie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 421Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 200mgCarbohydrates: 66gFiber: 5gSugar: 38gProtein: 3g
The calories are computer generated and may not be 100% accurate.
If you loved this recipe then give it a 5 star rating and leave a comment! I love to chat with you all. Please feel free to share on social media and tag #courtneyshomestead. I would love to see you over on Instagram or Facebook.