*This post may contain Amazon affiliate links, meaning if you choose to buy something off of one of my links, I may get a small compensation (at no extra cost to you). I will never recommend something I don't believe in.Jump to Recipe
Chicken pot pie has always been one of my favorite dishes. Maybe it’s the pie crust, I do have a thing for pie crust, whatever it is it’s delicious. And this vegan not chicken pot pie will never make you miss the real thing. My husband has never been a big fan of chicken pot pie, but he enjoys this one.
The only bummer about pot pies is they can be a little time consuming. They aren’t a throw it together quick kind of meal. But it’s a perfect make ahead meal where if you have time in the morning and not in the evening you can whip this up and then have a hearty dinner on the way to soccer practice. This can last more than one meal in my house which is a bonus for me.
I have a super easy pie crust recipe. If you are intimidated on making your own crust you can always buy it, but this one is SO easy and I know you can do it!
What do you need for this vegan not chicken pot pie?
- vegan butter
- vegetable broth
- plant milk
- salt + pepper
- poultry seasoning
- vegan chicken nuggets
How do you make this delicious pie?
You’re going to start by making your pie crust. This is quite easy. Start by getting a small bowl of ice water and set aside. Take a bowl and mix your dry ingredients. Make a well in the dry ingredients and then pour your oil and water, stir with a wooden spoon until just combined. It’s similar to making biscuits you don’t want to overwork the dough. This recipe yields two pie crusts. Cover the bowl and let sit while you do the other work, or you can make this last, whichever works for you.
Cook your fake chicken. You can either use the whole bag or half depending on how full you want your pot pie. Once they are done cut them into
Now let’s get chopping. Chop up all your vegetables and potatoes into bite sized pieces. Get a sauce pan and throw you vegetables, except for the onion and garlic. This taste best if you use a vegetable broth or bullion, but plain ole water works as well. You’ll want to cook these until they are fork tender, but not overly tender. They will still cook some in the oven.
Start making your sauce. Take a pan and cook the onion in the vegan butter until soft then add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds. Now add your seasoning and the flour. Whisk quickly to get a roux like you are making gravy. Add part of your milk and stir until you’re not dealing with flour clumps. Then add the rest of your liquid. Stir until it starts to thicken.
Then add your chopped cooked vegan chicken and cooked and drained vegetables and stir. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Now split your pie dough in even halves. Take a Silpat and roll your pie crust out I always use saran wrap between the crust and the roller to prevent sticking. Spray the pie plate with cooking spray and then fold out your pie crust dough evenly. Add the filling and then do the same with the other crust, but placing it on top. Cut slits in the top of the pie crust so the air has somewhere to escape.
Bake this pie at 400 degrees for 30-35 minutes. Let cool before serving, pot pies seem to retain a lot of heat for a while.
What’s your favorite pot pie? Let me know in the comments!
Vegan Not Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 pie crust recipe below
- 1/2-1 bag vegan chicken tenders, cooked
- 4 TB vegan butter
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 3/4 cup peas *optional
- 2 medium potatoes, chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth or bullion
- 1 cup vegan milk
- 3/4 tsp pepper, ground
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- Make your pie crust, you need a top and a bottom. This recipe makes a top and bottom, or buy them. 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour,1 tsp salt,2 TB sugar, white, 1/2 cup neutral oil, 4 TB Ice water. Instructions Get a bowl of ice water ready and set aside.2. Mix your flour, salt, and sugar together until combined. Take your oil and 4 TB ice water and pour it into your flour mixture *this will look messy and like it won't come together* Mix with a wooden spoon until it's combined and a dough ball. It shouldn't be overly sticky. I like to roll mine out on a Silpat with a thing of saran wrap on top to prevent any sticking. When rolling, make sure to add even pressure so you don't end up with thin spots. Roll it out to about 2 inches bigger than your pie pan. Carefully place the dough in your pie dish and cut the remaining dough that's hanging over. Fill with your favorite pie filling and bake according to the directions on the pie. Set aside. Take a small saucepan and cook the potatoes, celery, carrots until fork tender. This should take about 10 minutes or so. Once done strain and set aside. Chop you cooked vegan chicken strips into bite-sized pieces. Take a saucepan and melt the butter, cook the onions until soft, then add the garlic. Add the pepper, salt, and poultry seasoning. Take a whisk and whisk in the flour until it's thickened. Now whisk in the milk and water, whisk until a thicker sauce forms. Add your cooked vegetables and vegan chicken strips. Roll out your pie crust and line a pie pan. Place the pot pie mixture into the pie shell. Now top with the remaining crust, slitting holes in the top for the air to escape while baking. Bake for 30-35 minutes until it's lightly golden brown. Let cool before serving.