This easy vegan beans and cornbread casserole is a family favorite. It's an easy recipe and perfect for impressing dinner guests.
I am a big fan of quick hearty meals, something you can make in the morning and cook at dinner time. I have several of these kinds of meals, like my vegan frito pie, vegan fajitas, or vegan chickpea tuna salad.
Then you already have the mess practically cleaned up, and you feel like superwomen or superman when it comes to dinner time.
This is where this tasty vegan beans and cornbread casserole comes in.
This dish is good enough for
After one bite of this, my 9-year-old was ecstatic and claimed he already wanted leftovers. Those are my favorite nights.
I love cornbread in general, and then add it to the mixed goodness of beans, and you've got a winner!
The best part about this meal is that it takes about 10 minutes to whip up; the rest of the time is just cooking it.
What do you need to make this vegan beans and cornbread casserole?
- white, black, and refried beans
- salsa ( your fav)
- salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin
- baking powder
- flax seeds (for flax "eggs")
- plant milk
- vegan cheese is optional*
How do you make this easy vegan casserole?
Start by preheating your oven to 375 degrees.
Take a 9x13 dish and spray it with cooking spray; set aside.
Then make your flax "eggs" do this by grinding some flax seeds. Take 2 tablespoons of your now flax meal and put it in a small cup; mix 4 tablespoons of water and stir; let this sit while you work on the rest of the recipe.
Get a medium-sized bowl and stir the rinsed and drained white and black beans, refried beans, drained corn, salsa, and seasonings.
Stir this all together and pour it into the prepared 9x13 pan.
Now take a
Whisk all your dry ingredients together and make a well in the middle.
Now add your wet ingredients, including the flax egg, and stir until combined.
Pour the cornbread topping onto the beans and spread evenly.
Cook in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, checking it with a toothpick in the middle for doneness.
You could add vegan sour cream or whatever topping you want to this to add a little more pizzazz, but it's just as delicious without it.
Here are some other easy vegan dinner recipes...
Beans and Cornbread Casserole
- 1 can white beans rinsed and drained
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 can refried beans
- 1 can corn drained
- 1.5 cups salsa your favorite
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup vegan cheese optional
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 TB baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup oil
- 2 flax eggs 2 TB flaxmeal with 4 TB water
- 1 ¼ cup plant milk
- Preheat you oven to 375 degrees, grease a 9x13 pan and set aside.
- Make your flax egg for you cornbread topping. Take a small cup and mix 2 TB of the the flaxmeal with 4 TB of water, stir and set aside.
- Take a medium sized bowl and combine all bean mixture ingredients. Stir until combined, then take the bean mixture and make an even layer in the greased 9x13 pan, set aside.
- Make your cornbread topping. Take a medium sized bowl and combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt whisk together. Now make a well in the middle of the bowl and add your oil, plant milk, and flaxegg, stir until combined. Pour this over the top of the bean mixture and spread until it evenly coats the bean mixture.
- Cook in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes. Until a toothpick in the middle of the cornbread comes out mostly clean. Watch it so it doesn't over bake. Let cool a bit and then serve.
Recipe inspired and adapted by https://www.melskitchencafe.com/cowboy-dinner/
If you loved this recipe, then give it a 5 star rating and leave a comment! I love to chat with you all. P ease feel free to share on social media and tag #courtneyshomestead. I would love to see you over on Instagram or Facebook.