*This post may contain Amazon affiliate links, meaning if you choose to buy something off of one of my links, I may get a small compensation (at no extra cost to you). I will never recommend something I don't believe in.
I am a big fan of quick hearty meals, something you can make in the morning and cook at dinner time. Then you already have the mess practically cleaned up and you feel like superwomen or superman when it comes to dinner time. This is where this tasty vegan beans and cornbread casserole comes in.
This dish is good enough for
I love cornbread in general, and then add it to the mixed goodness of beans and you’ve got a winner!
The best part about this meal is that it takes about 10 minutes to whip up, the rest of the time is just cooking it.
What do you need to make this vegan beans and cornbread casserole?
- white, black, and refried beans
- salsa ( your fav)
- salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin
- baking powder
- flax seeds (for flax “eggs”)
- plant milk
- vegan cheese is optional*
How do you make this casserole?
Start by preheating your oven to 375 degrees. Take a 9×13 dish and spray with cooking spray, set aside.
Then make your flax “eggs” do this by grinding some flax seeds. Take 2 tablespoons of your now flax meal and put it in a small cup, mix 4 tablespoons of water and stir let this sit while your work on the rest of the recipe.
Get a medium sized bowl and stir the rinsed and drained white and black beans, refried beans, drained corn, salsa and seasonings. Stir this altogether and pour it into the prepared 9×13 pan.
Now take a
Cook in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, checking it with a toothpick in the middle for doneness.
You could add vegan sour cream or whatever topping you want to this to add a little more pazzaz, but it’s just as delicious without it.
- 1 can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can refried beans
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1.5 cups salsa ( your favorite)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 cup vegan cheese (optional)
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 TB baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup oil
- 2 flax eggs ( 2 TB flaxmeal with 4 TB water)
- 1 1/4 cup plant milk
- Preheat you oven to 375 degrees, grease a 9x13 pan and set aside.
- Make your flax egg for you cornbread topping. Take a small cup and mix 2 TB of the the flaxmeal with 4 TB of water, stir and set aside.
- Take a medium sized bowl and combine all bean mixture ingredients. Stir until combined, then take the bean mixture and make an even layer in the greased 9x13 pan, set aside.
- Make your cornbread topping. Take a medium sized bowl and combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt whisk together. Now make a well in the middle of the bowl and add your oil, plant milk, and flaxegg, stir until combined. Pour this over the top of the bean mixture and spread until it evenly coats the bean mixture.
- Cook in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes. Until a toothpick in the middle of the cornbread comes out mostly clean. Watch it so it doesn't over bake. Let cool a bit and then serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 501Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1761mgCarbohydrates: 74gFiber: 12gSugar: 16gProtein: 19g
The calories are computer generated and may not be 100% accurate.
Recipe inspired and adapted by https://www.melskitchencafe.com/cowboy-dinner/