*This post may contain Amazon affiliate links, meaning if you choose to buy something off of one of my links, I may get a small compensation (at no extra cost to you). I will never recommend something I don't believe in.Jump to Recipe
After being vegan for over 5 years and never being fully satisfied with a macaroni and cheese recipe, you know the one that actually tastes like real macaroni cheese. So as a result I made my own. And boy am I glad I did!
I have made more than my share of vegan mac and cheese fails from varied recipes… just ask my kids. They now ask if I made it from scratch or from a box or remember those green gross noodles….but not this one. They beg for this one.
Do you have anything that you make that your kids or significant other roll their eyes at? Let me know in the comments!
What I love about this recipe is really just how dang good it tastes. It is creamy, hearty and delicious. Comfort food at it’s finest. It’s super easy to make and comes together quickly. It does require a couple of different cheeses, but that is how you get the flavor profile. When we first started trying alternative cheeses I HATED Daiya, it was weird and didn’t melt. But the cutting board series is SO good! It compliments this recipe so well. I hope you try it out and let me know what you think!
The best vegan Macaroni and Cheese
- 2 1/4 cups dry macaroni noodles
- 1/4 cup earth balance vegan butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup any unsweetened milk (I use almond, soy, or oatmilk)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2/3 cup Daiya pepper jack cheese shreds
- 1 cup Daiya shredded cheddar (from the farmhouse series)
- 1/2 cup Cashew Parmesan (recipe link in notes)
- 1.5 tablespoons Earth Balance vegan butter
- 3/4 cup panko crumbs
- Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees and lightly spray an 8 x 8 pan with cooking spray2. Boil enough water to cook you noodles in. When boiling add your noodles and cook to package directions, when finished strain and put aside3. Get your 1 cup of milk ready and set aside, heat up a skillet with the 1/4 cup of earth balance butter, once melted whisk in the flour for about 30 seconds. Then slowly whisk in the milk- this will thicken pretty quickly. Then add the cheeses, whisking after each addition. When all the cheeses have been added remove from heat, you can then add the salt and pepper.4. Take your strained noodles and mix it with the cheese mixture in the skillet. Once it is all mixed together, place the mixture into the prepared 8×8 pan.5. In a separate bowl, melt the 1.5 TB of earth balance butter, once melted mix with the panko crumbs, stir, then spread on the top of the mac and cheese.6. Cook in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes before enjoying.
If you tried and loved this recipe I would love to hear from you in the comments or hashtag me #Courtneyshomesteadrecipe on Instagram Thanks for your support! <3