I never really know what to call these dishes, they mimic chicken quite well, but they aren’t animal in
If you’ve never had soy curls than you probably should. The first time I made them they tasted terrible, I didn’t know how to work with them. It was not ideal. I kind of swore them off, but when I would go to vegan restaurants they nailed them. They tasted SO good. So, I was determined to figure out how to make them well. And I think I can now confidently say I am brave enough to feed this to non-vegans, and I don’t think they would really miss the meat.
What’s good about this dish? Uh everything. It’s high in protein, has fiber, my kids don’t complain about eating it, it has cashews- cashews is almost enough to finish this sentence. I love cashews. And it’s easy peasy to make. Score! Checks all the boxes for me.
What do you need for this vegan soy curl cashew chicken?
- soy curls
- pepper, ground
- soy sauce
- rice vinegar
- brown sugar
- ginger, ground
- red pepper flakes
How do you make this?
You’re going to start with soaking your soy curls. Take a bowl and place 2 cups of the soy curls in it, then cover it with warm water and let sit for 10 minutes.
While the soy curls are sitting make your sauce. Take all your sauce ingredients into a 1 cup pyrex liquid measuring cup and stir. Set aside.
Drain the water from the soy curls. Then take small hand fulls of them and squeeze all the water out of them that you possibly can. This is the most important part when working with soy curls. The squeezing makes it so the soy curls can be infused with flavoring of the sauce. Once all of the soy curls are strained you can put them in a wok or frying pan. Take your flour and pepper and toss it with the soy curls until evenly coated.
Now add the oil to the wok on medium heat and stir until the soy curls start to brown a bit. Then stir your sauce once more and add the sauce and cashews to the soy curls. Stir for a few minutes until the sauce has thickened onto to the soy curls.
I usually add broccoli to this, but you can add any vegetable you want. We always serve it with rice.
What’s your favorite soy curl dish? Let me know in the comments! <3
- 2 cups soy curls
- 2 TB all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp pepper, ground
- 1 TB oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce, low sodium
- 1 TB rice vinegar
- 1 TB ketchup
- 1 TB brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp ginger, ground
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2- 3/4 cup cashews, roasted, salted
- Cooked rice
- Start by rehydrating your soy curls. Take 2 cups soy curls in a bowl and cover with warm water. Let sit for 10 minutes. After the 10 minutes squeeze all the water possible out of the soy curls and place back in a clean bowl. Take the flour and pepper and coat the soy curls with this mixture.
- While the soy curls and rehydrating make your sauce. Mix the sauce ingredients and stir. Set aside.
- Take a pan and add your oil and soy curls, cook stirring on medium for a couple of minutes until the soy curls start to brown. Then add your sauce ingredients and cashews. Stir until cooked through and the sauce is coated. Serve with rice and vegetables. Add more cashews to each plate if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 149Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 693mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 4g
* this is without rice. The calories are computer generated and may not be 100% accurate.