Vegan smores cookies are the perfect combination of graham cracker cookie base, chocolate chunks, and gooey marshmallows. All the smores flavor with less mess.
I may have a slight addiction to smores things. I think this is my third and likely not final recipe of different smores desserts on this site.
But who can blame me?
I mean, they are delicious.
And how often do you get to make smores? Maybe once a year?
Not with these delicious vegan s’mores cookies.
There is something about smores that screams summer and summertime treat to me.
For the past couple of summers in Oregon, we have had burn bans while camping.
S’mores are necessary while camping, but if you can’t have a fire, you can’t have s’mores.
That’s where these s’more cookies come into play.
You can make them before you head out and place them in the fridge if you’re going to a warm place, so your chocolate doesn’t melt.
Vegan Smores Cookies Recipe Q&A
Are marshmallows vegan?
You have to buy specific marshmallows that are vegan. Gelatin is what causes regular marshmallows not to be vegan.
Dandies are a great brand that is somewhat easy to find, or Trader Joe if you are local to one with their own brand of vegan marshmallows (seasonal).
Whole Foods typically has Dandies brand.
I am sure there are some other brands, but I am most familiar with those two.
Are graham crackers vegan?
Most graham crackers contain honey which makes them not vegan.
However, Nabisco red box is accidentally vegan, and many store brands are as well.
Just makes sure to read the labels.
What kind of vegan chocolate can you use?
I almost always use vegan chocolate chips. There are a lot of brands out there.
A few examples;
- Kirkland’s white bag of chocolate chips is vegan
- Enjoy Life Chocolate chips
- Simple Truth *check the back
- Toll House Allergy-Friendly series
- Trader Joes Semi-Sweet
Always, always check labels because brands often change their formula, and sometimes they aren’t vegan anymore.
If you wanted an even more, Smores feel, you could use the chunks of a vegan chocolate bar.
What’s the best way to make graham cracker crumbs?
There are many ways to get graham cracker crumbs. Here are a few;
1. Take the package the graham crackers come in, and don’t open it but carefully with your fingers, smash the graham crackers until you have crumbs. If you’re careful, you can keep that bag intact and not have to dirty anything to get good graham cracker crumbs.
2. Remove the graham crackers and place them in a ziplock bag, then take a rolling pin, smash the graham crackers into the size you need them, and use them as needed.
3. Use a food processor to get graham cracker crumbs
Can you make these gluten-free s’mores cookies?
Yes, use all-purpose gluten free flour like bob’s red mill in a 1:1 ratio and buy a gluten free graham cracker box.
What do I need for these vegan Smores Cookies?
Check out the recipe card at the bottom of this post for the full recipe.
- vegan butter
- brown sugar
- white sugar
- baking soda
- corn starch
- vegan milk (almond milk, soy milk, oat milk, whichever you like)
- vanilla extract
- all-purpose flour
- vegan graham crackers
- large vegan marshmallows *cut into pieces or vegan mini marshmallows
- vegan chocolate chips
- *powdered sugar for dusting marshmallows
How do you make these amazing vegan S’mores cookies?
Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees, line a cookie sheet with a Silpat or parchment paper, and set it aside.
Take your stand mixer or hand mixer and mix the vegan butter and sugars together in a large mixing bowl until smooth.
Then add the baking soda, salt, cornstarch, vegan milk, and vanilla extract.
Mix this until evenly distributed.
Now take your flour and crushed graham crackers, and mix until combined evenly.
Take your vegan marshmallows if they are full size, then cut them into 6’s by cutting them in half, then half again, and then once more in half. *I had pictures of the prep of these but deleted them all on accident.
Coat them in powdered sugar and shake off the excess, so they don’t all stick together.
Add your vegan chocolate chips and marshmallow pieces and stir to combine as evenly as possible.
Roll into cookie dough balls or use a cookie scoop and place 12 cookies on a prepared baking sheet and cook for 10-12 minutes, depending on the size of your cookie (Mine took 10).
I got 21 cookies.
They will not feel cooked but don’t overcook them; they will further cook and firm up on the cookie sheet.
Let cool on the cookie sheet for 10 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.
Then devour them because they are so tasty!
How do you serve these chocolate chip s’mores cookies?
These are best served at room temperature unless you like melty chocolate.
These also taste great as a perfect s’mores ice cream sandwich.
How do you store vegan cookies?
Let these cookies cool to room temperature, then place them in an airtight container on the counter for up to 5 days.
Can you freeze cookies?
Yes, cookies freeze great! For the best results, do a flash freeze.
To flash freeze cooked cookies, take a lined baking tray, place the cooked cookies in a single file, and place the baking tray in the freezer.
Let these freeze for 1-2 hours until frozen through.
Then after they are frozen, you can stack them in a freezer-safe container for up to 6 months.
To defrost, let sit on the counter until at room temperature.
Can you freeze vegan s’mores cookie dough?
Yes, if you would prefer to freeze the cookie dough, do the same as above with flash-freezing.
To cook, let them defrost on the counter to room temperature, then cook in a preheated oven.
Want some other vegan S’mores recipes?
Want some other vegan cookie recipes?
- 1 stick vegan butter cold
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1.5 TB corn starch
- 2 TB vegan milk
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup crushed graham crackers
- 1 cup marshmallows *cut into pieces
- 2/3 cup vegan chocolate chips
- *powdered sugar for dusting marshmallows
- Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees, line a cookie sheet with a Silpat, and set it aside.
- Take your stand or hand mixer and mix the vegan butter and sugars into smooth. Then add the baking soda, salt, cornstarch, vegan milk, and vanilla extract. Mix this until evenly distributed. Now take your flour and crushed graham crackers, and mix until combined evenly.
- Take your vegan marshmallows if they are full size, then cut them into 6's by cutting them in half, then half again, and then once more in half. Coat them in powdered sugar and shake off the excess, so they don't all stick together.
- Now add your chocolate chips and marshmallow pieces and stir to combine as evenly as possible.
- Roll into balls or use a cookie scoop and cook for 10-12 minutes, depending on the size of your cookie (Mine took 10). I get 21 cookies. They will not feel cooked but don't overcook them; they will further cook and firm up on the cookie sheet.
- Let cool on the cookie sheet for 10 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.
If you loved this recipe, then give it a 5 star rating and leave a comment! I love to chat with you all. Please feel free to share on social media and tag #courtneyshomestead. I would love to see you over on Instagram or Facebook.
Saturday 15th of January 2022
That may be the finish of this write-up. Right here you will uncover some web sites that we consider youll appreciate, just click the hyperlinks.
Wednesday 18th of August 2021
I have recently started a site, the information you provide on this website has helped me greatly. Thanks for all of your time & work.
Tuesday 17th of August 2021
Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it. Look advanced to more added agreeable from you! However, how could we communicate?
Monday 16th of August 2021
I know this if off topic but I'm looking into starting my own blog and was wondering what all is required to get setup? I'm assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny? I'm not very internet smart so I'm not 100 certain. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers
Friday 13th of August 2021
Very efficiently written story. It will be beneficial to anybody who usess it, as well as yours truly :). Keep up the good work - for sure i will check out more posts.