These vegan s'mores brownies are one of the best desserts for summer, with a delicious graham cracker crust and a decadent brownie layer topped with golden brown crispy vegan marshmallows. This is a perfect dessert for your sweet tooth.
Vegan Smores Brownies, need I say more? That combo doesn't get much better than that unless you don't like chocolate. Then I have few words that can help that situation.
Shockingly I am not a huge fan of traditional s'mores themselves, but I love smores desserts, is that weird?
I like traditional smores about once a year.
But these smores brownies or these vegan smores bars need to happen more than once a year.
These are simple to make and come together quickly.
The wait time for these babies is in the baking and let them cool, so they don't fall apart before inhaling.
These bad boys are rich. I would be impressed if you could get through more than a square of this sweet treat.
We enjoy these by themselves or with ice cream. Vanilla cashew ice cream brings these to another level of dreaminess.
I've gotten so caught up in telling you how delicious I haven't even mentioned how this dessert is layered.
You start with a buttery graham cracker crust, then go to a fudgy chocolate brownie layer, topped with gooey marshmallows that get caramelized on the edges.
Vegan S'mores Brownies Recipe Q&A
Can you make these gluten-free s'mores brownies?
You can use gluten-free graham crackers and all-purpose gluten-free flour in a 1:1 ratio.
Are marshmallows vegan?
Typically no, they contain gelatin and are therefore not vegan. But lucky for us, they sell a vegan version.
Dandies are the most popular and well-known brand of vegan marshmallows.
If you live near Trader Joe's seasonally, vegan marshmallows are available.
Are graham crackers vegan?
Graham crackers often have honey in them, meaning they aren't vegan.
They do have several brands that offer honeyless crunchy graham cracker.
Can I use a vegan brownie mix instead?
I have never tried it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
This fudgy brownie recipe is super easy to make and goes so well with the recipe I would probably stick to it. But you're welcome to try!
Are chocolate chips vegan?
Most chocolate chips aren't vegan because they add milk fat.
Always check the ingredients to double-check.
They do have brands like Enjoy-Life that are only vegan and delicious; also, many store brands offer a vegan option.
What do you need for these vegan s'mores brownies?
Check out the recipe card at the bottom of this post for the full recipe.
- vegan graham crackers
- vegan butter
- flax eggs (2 TB ground flax seeds + 4 TB water)
- vegan chocolate chips
- instant coffee *optional
- cocoa powder
- pure vanilla extract (or what you have)
- brown sugar
- vegan milk (almond milk, soy milk, oat milk, whichever you prefer)
- all purpose flour
- baking powder
- vegan chocolate chips
- Dandies vegan mini marshmallows or regular-sized vegan marshmallows cut into fours
How do you make them?
Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees F and preparing your 8×8 square baking dish with either foil or parchment paper with a bit of a hangover so you can remove it from the pan easily, spray with cooking spray, and set aside.
Make your flax egg by grinding the flax meal, measuring 2 TB, and mixing it with 4 TB of water; stir and set it aside.
Now take a medium bowl and melt your 3 TB vegan butter in the microwave.
Take your crunchy graham crackers and crumble them until they are graham cracker crumbs.
You can do this by crushing the graham crackers in their bag carefully, putting them in a ziplock bag, and rolling them with a rolling pin, or you can use a food processor if you want, but I don't think it's necessary.
Mix the crumbs and the melted vegan butter until combined.
Now grab your prepared 8×8 baking pan and pour the buttery crumbs in and spread until even; grab a spatula and press the crumbs into the bottom until it's fairly firm.
Cook the crust in the preheated oven for 5 minutes, then remove and set aside.
Start on your vegan brownie recipe;
Mix your flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside.
In a microwave-safe glass bowl, mix your oil with 1 cup of the chocolate chips, and stir.
Put in the microwave for 30 seconds.
Whisk for 10 seconds.
Put it back in the microwave for 30 seconds. Whisk. And set aside.
Make sure you don't seize the chocolate.
Take your melted chocolate and whisk in the instant coffee, cocoa powder, brown sugar, vanilla, 2 TB vegan milk, and Flax Eggs.
Stir this until combined well.
Now add the flour mixture into the chocolate one until combined.
Then stir in your ½ cup chocolate chips and stir.
Carefully take your brownie batter and spread it evenly onto the graham crust. Be careful not to move the graham crust (this is why it's important to have a firmly pressed crust).
Now, add the vegan marshmallows evenly over the top of the brownies, lightly pressing into the brownies.
Bake this for 35-40 minutes. The edges will be slightly firm with toasty marshmallows that are golden brown.
Let this cool for a few hours before cutting.
These are a bit crumbly but SO delicious!
How do you serve vegan s'mores brownies?
These are best served at room temperature or a little warm if you want them gooey.
They are also amazing served with vegan ice cream!
How do you store leftovers?
Let these fudgy vegan brownies come to room temperature before storing them in an airtight container on the counter for up to 5 days.
Can you freeze brownies?
Yes, do a flash freeze by placing the brownies in a single layer on a cookie sheet.
Place them in the freezer for 1-2 hours until frozen.
Then, you can stack them in a freezer bag or container for up to 3 months.
Let them sit on the counter to defrost.
Want some other vegan summer easy recipes?
If you loved this recipe, then give it a 5 star rating and leave a comment! I love to chat with you all. Please feel free to share on social media and tag #courtneyshomestead. I would love to see you over on Instagram or Facebook.
Amazing Vegan Smores Brownies
- 1 sleeve 10 full graham crackers or roughly 1 ¼ cups crumbs graham crackers, crushed
- 3 TB vegan butter melted
- 2 flax eggs 2 TB flax meal + 4 TB water
- ½ cup oil
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips to be melted
- ½ teaspoon instant coffee *optional
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1.5 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 TB vegan milk
- ¾ cup flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips not melted
- ½ bag dandies mini vegan marshmallows
- Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees and preparing your 8×8 square pan with either foil or parchment paper and spray with cooking spray, set aside.
- Make your flax egg and set it aside.
- Now take a medium bowl and melt your 3 TB vegan butter in the microwave. Take your graham crackers and crumble them until they are just crumbs. Mix the crumbs and the melted vegan butter until combined. Now grab your prepared 8x8 pan and pour the buttery crumbs in and spread until even; grab a spatula and press the crumbs into the bottom until it's fairly firm.
- Cook in the crust in a preheated oven for 5 minutes, remove, and set aside.
- Start on your brownies.
- Mix your flour, baking powder, and salt together and set aside.
- In a microwave-safe glass bowl, mix your oil with 1 cup of the chocolate chips, and stir. Put in the Microwave for 30 seconds. Whisk for 10 seconds. Put it back in the microwave for 30 seconds. Whisk. And set aside. Be careful not to overcook because it will make it seize up.
- Now take your melted chocolate mixture and whisk in the instant coffee, cocoa powder, brown sugar, vanilla, 2 TB milk, and Flax Eggs mix until well combined. Now add the flour mixture into the chocolate one until combined. Then stir in your ½ cup chocolate chips and stir.
- Carefully take your brownie mixture and spread it evenly onto the graham crust. Be careful not to move the graham crust (this is why it's important to have a firmly pressed crust); now, add the vegan marshmallows evenly over the top, lightly pressing into the brownies.
- Bake this for 35-40 minutes. The edges will be slightly firm. Let this cool for a few hours before cutting. The marshmallows will puff up while cooking; that's okay; it will come back down and be caramelized on the edges. These are a bit crumbly but SO delicious! Amazing served with vegan ice cream!