Everyone needs an easy vegan vanilla pudding recipe. This can be substituted for any instant vanilla pudding you need.
This is a super easy, tasty vegan vanilla pudding recipe that you can whip and not wonder what’s in it.
Most instant puddings have all sorts of ingredients in them, and to be honest, I feel like it tastes artificial at this point in the game.
I used this vanilla pudding recipe as a base for another recipe. It’s quick, and you likely have all the simple ingredients already on hand.
This homemade pudding would also be great with some fresh berries on top of the pudding or whatever fresh fruits you like with pudding.
This recipe is fairly sweet even though it only has 1/4 cup of sugar in the recipe.
I used vanilla extract, but I bet it would be delicious with some vanilla bean scrapped in for that vanilla flavor pop.
A couple of notes about this dairy-free pudding;
- This recipe naturally makes a gluten-free vanilla pudding
- This is a thinner pudding mixture, not a thick pudding
- It’s made with basic ingredients
Vegan Pudding Recipe Q&A
What’s the best non-dairy milk to use?
You can really use your favorite non-dairy milk. However, they will each yield a little different vanilla pudding.
The thicker the plant milk is, naturally, your pudding will be thicker.
- unsweetened almond milk will work, but it will be a bit thinner
- full fat coconut milk will lead to the thickest pudding; however, it will have a coconut flavor
- oat milk depending on the brand, will be in the middle of thick and thin
- soy milk will produce a nicer, thicker pudding due to the fat and protein content
Can I use arrowroot powder instead of corn starch?
I haven’t tried it, but I think it would thicken up great. Use it in a 1:1 ratio.
Can I use maple syrup instead of regular sugar?
I have never tried a liquid sweetener in this recipe and would worry that it would make too much liquid and it wouldn’t thicken properly.
Is instant pudding vegan friendly?
The brand JELLO has boxed vegan pudding mixes that are vegan until you add the milk. You can use non-dairy milk instead, it may not set up quite as thick, but it will still work.
What ingredients do you need for vegan homemade vanilla pudding?
Check out the recipe card at the bottom of this post for the full recipe.
- soy milk or oat milk (you can try other non-dairy milk; the thicker, the better)
- white sugar
- corn starch
- pure vanilla extract
How do you make this vegan creamy vanilla pudding?
To a small to medium saucepan, add all but 1/4 cup of the 2 cups of alternative milk to the leftover 1/4 milk, add your cornstarch and mix until smooth.
Once smooth, add it to the rest of the milk, then add your sugar and salt.
Cook on medium heat and continue to mix with a spatula or wooden spoon continually until thickened.
This can take up to 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
Let sit for 20 minutes.
How do you serve this vegan vanilla pudding?
This pudding is best served cold. You can serve these in individual servings with berries or your favorite fruit, animal crackers, vanilla wafers, or vegan cool whip.
This also is a perfect base for a trifle that needs pudding. Or wherever you need to instant pudding mix.
How do you store vegan pudding?
Let this come to room temperature before storing it in an airtight container, or place it in a container and cover it with plastic wrap in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Can you freeze pudding?
I would recommend not freezing this recipe.
Want some other delicious vegan dessert recipes?
- 2 cups soy milk you can try other non-dairy milks
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2.5 tablespoons cornstartch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Add all but 1/4 cup of the 2 cups of alternative milk to a small saucepan. Add your cornstarch to the leftover 1/4 milk and mix until smooth. Once smooth, add it to the rest of the milk, then add your sugar and salt.
- Bring heat to medium and continue mixing with a spatula until thickened. This can take up to 20 minutes. Remove from heat. Let sit for 20 minutes, then store in the fridge.
If you loved this recipe, then give it a 5 star rating and leave a comment! I love to chat with you all. Please feel free to share on social media and tag #courtneyshomestead. I would love to see you over on Instagram or Facebook.