This vegan graham cracker crust recipe gives you two options. You can make a crust with essentially homemade graham crackers or use store-bought vegan graham crackers to make it the traditional way. Either way, they are both delicious!
Graham cracker pie crusts come in handy for so many delicious desserts.
They make the perfect base for vegan cheesecake, vegan cream pies, and whatever your needs are; I have you covered either way.
I would be lying if I told you the homemade crust tasted exactly like the pre-made graham cracker crusts. However, it’s still delicious in its own way and tastes as close to homemade graham crackers without actually making graham crackers and crumbling them up.
You could make this as graham crackers and crumble them up, but I don’t think you need to.
Vegan Graham Cracker Crust Recipe Q&A
Why are graham crackers not vegan?
Some brands are vegan. However, the most common non-vegan ingredient in graham crackers is honey.
But always check the full list of ingredients because recipes do change from time to time.
Why is honey not vegan?
Honey comes from a bee, and even though it’s an insect, it’s still an animal, so it’s therefore not vegan-friendly.
Which brand of graham crackers are vegan?
I’ve only found two vegan brands that are available nationwide in the United States: Nabisco Grahams in the red box or the Keebler Original Graham crackers.
Not all grocery stores carry them, sadly, but they are available.
Honey Maid has yet to come out with vegan graham crackers.
Are Keebler graham crusts vegan?
Yes, the store-bought Keebler graham crust is free from animal products.
What is the easiest way to crush crackers?
The easiest way to crush graham crackers is with a food processor; however, not everyone has one or wants to pull one out, so here are some other options;
- You can place the graham crackers into a big ziplock bag, lay it on the counter, and then use a rolling pin to roll over the crumbs until they are the desired size.
- Take the package that the graham crackers come in and carefully and slowly crunch them up, being careful not to bust the package.
- Use the food processor.
- Crunch them up with your hands in a bowl and use a pastry cutter to get them to the size you want.
- A blender will also work to make crumbs.
Can I make this gluten-free?
If you’re using the store-bought recipe, you can easily use gluten-free graham crackers to replace regular graham crackers.
If you’re using the homemade version, you could use gluten-free flour. However, the whole wheat flour gives it that graham cracker feel, so I don’t think it would taste as graham crackery.
Are there dairy-free graham crackers?
I’ve only ever seen dairy-free graham crackers, but you’ll always want to double-check the ingredient list.
Do I have to bake these graham cracker crusts?
For the homemade version, you absolutely have to bake the crust, or else it will taste terrible and not be a crust.
For the store-bought graham crackers, you don’t have to bake them, but I would advise you to.
If you don’t bake the crust, it will likely fall apart when you try to serve it. You will want to crunch it down very well if you don’t intend to bake it.
What ingredients do you need for this vegan graham cracker pie crust?
Check out the recipe card at the bottom of this post for the full recipe.
Homemade vegan graham cracker crust
- whole wheat flour
- all purpose flour
- baking soda
- brown sugar
- vegan honey or corn syrup
- vegan butter, cold
- vanilla extract
- non dairy milk
vegan graham crackers store-bought crust
- crushed graham crackers
- white sugar
- brown sugar
- vegan melted butter
How do you make a vegan graham cracker crust?
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees; grease a pie pan or pie dish and set it aside.
For the homemade version;
Take a large bowl and combine the dry ingredients; the flours, baking soda, salt, and sugar, and whisk until combined.
Add the cold vegan butter and shortening and cut in with either two forks or a pastry cutter until it kind of resembles sand.
Now mix in the wet ingredients; vegan honey/corn syrup/vanilla extract/ and non-dairy milk; stir until combined and it forms a dough.
Line the vegan graham cracker dough evenly in the pie pan.
Bake the graham cracker crust in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until it’s the hardness you desire; it will firm up as it cools.
Store-bought graham cracker crust;
If you have a food processor, you can process your graham crackers into crumbs; if you don’t, you can do it a couple of different ways.
Read the recipe Q&A for different options.
Melt your vegan butter in a medium size bowl, add your crunched-up graham cracker crumbs and sugars, mix until combined well.
Bake in the preheated oven for 8 minutes; remove and let cool.
How do you serve this vegan pie crust?
This vegan graham cracker crust is best served as a pie base.
You can fill the baked crust just like you would with any graham cracker crust.
How do you store a graham cracker crust?
Storing the crust will depend on what you fill it with.
Often times what you fill a graham cracker crust with needs to be refrigerated.
If you want to premake the crust, you can place it in an airtight container or cover it tightly with plastic wrap and place it in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Can you freeze a graham cracker crust?
Yes, if you want to freeze it, let it come to room temperature before covering it very well with saran wrap and foil or preferably in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Let defrost on the counter before adding the filling.
Want some delicious vegan pie recipes?
Homemade vegan graham cracker crust
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose white flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup brown sugar* half cup if you want it more sweet, it's mildly sweet
- 2 TB vegan honey or corn syrup
- 2 TB vegan butter, cold
- 2 TB shortening
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 TB non dairy milk
Store-bought graham crackers
- 1 1/2 cups crushed graham crackers
- 1 TB white sugar
- 1 TB brown sugar
- 5 TB vegan melted butter
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and, grease a pie pan, set it aside.
- For the homemade version; Take a large bowl and combine the dry ingredient; the flours, baking soda, salt, and sugar, and whisk until combined. Add the cold vegan butter and shortening and cut in with either two forks or a pastry cutter until it kind of resembles sand. Now mix in the liquid ingredients; vegan honey/corn syrup/vanilla extract/ and non-dairy milk. Stir until combined and it forms a dough.
- Line the dough evenly in the pie pan and bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until it's the hardness you desire, it will firm up as it cools.
- Store-bought graham cracker crust; Melt your vegan butter in a medium size bowl, add your crunched-up graham cracker crumbs and sugars, and mix until combined well.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 8 minutes; remove and let cool.
See blog post for recipe Q&A
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 182Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 118mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 2gSugar: 12gProtein: 3g
The calories are computer generated and may not be 100% accurate.
If you loved this recipe, then give it a 5-star rating and leave a comment! I love to chat with you all. Please feel free to share on social media and tag #courtneyshomestead. I would love to see you over on Instagram or Facebook.