This vegan kale salad is up there with the best salad. It is easy to make and will make you want to whip up another salad in no time.
This is hands down one of the best kale salads I have ever had.
Kale can be one of those leaves that are intense. More intense than I care for. But not this one. This one is perfect.
It has a delicious lemon-olive oil-garlic dressing that compliments the bitter kale so well.
And you top it off with a walnut Parmesan and sweet dried cranberries or cherries. The flavor combination does a party in your mouth.
The trick to getting the bitter flavor out of kale is.. massage. Sounds weird, right?
Who massages their kale, this girl right here!
Massaging it breaks down the fiber a bit and makes the flavor more enjoyable, and I feel like the dressing can really soak in.
Try a massaged kale salad, and it will be a game changer on your outlook on kale salad forever.
I also love that you don't need an extra kitchen tool to make this delicious salad, just the good use of your hands.
If you want this to be more of a saucy salad, you can make a double batch of the dressing.
Vegan Kale Salad Recipe Q&A
Can I use other leafy greens?
I have only ever tried this salad with fresh kale; the flavors go great with it. But you can always try it with a different green.
Can I make this nut-free?
It will change the flavor, but you can use sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds in place of walnuts.
Can I use a different nut than walnuts?
Yes, you can use raw cashews or pecans if you would rather.
Can I make this oil-free?
I think you would lose most of the flavor, so I wouldn't leave out the oil; I've already cut it down significantly from the original recipe.
What is dinosaur kale?
Dinosaur kale is curly kale; it usually has really thick stems. You don't want it to be leafy.
What ingredients do you need for this vegan kale salad?
Check out the recipe card at the bottom of this post for the full recipe.
- raw kale (dinosaur kale (curly kale), not lacinato kale or baby kale)
- dried cranberries or cherries
- fresh garlic
- fresh lemon (from a large lemon or two to make lemon juice)
- olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- toasted or raw walnuts
- nutritional yeast
- olive oil
- garlic powder
- salt to taste
How do you make this kale salad recipe?
Start by removing the thick stems and ripping off the kale leaves; I shred them by hand and give them a good massage before throwing them into the large bowl to soften them up.
Once this is all chopped, continue to give the kale a good massage to break down the roughness ( This seriously makes tender kale SO much better). Set aside.
Mix all your dressing ingredients in a food processor or a Blendtec twister jar and process until smooth.
You can pour this over your kale and give it a good mix. Set aside.
Clean out your twister jar or food processor and throw in your walnut parmesan mix. Process just until it's a course meal.
Mix your Salad/dressing with your walnut parmesan, and add the cranberries.
It's best to let this salad marinate for 15 to 30 minutes and then serve.
How do you serve this healthy kale salad?
This is best served as a side dish, but you can make it the main course if you would rather.
Can you store salad?
Yes, store this in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
Salads don't hold up well, but this hearty kale salad does better than most green salads.
Can you freeze the leftover salad?
No, you can freeze the salad dressing and the walnut parmesan but not the salad itself.
Want some delicious vegan recipes?
Delicious Kale Salad
- 1.5 bunches Dinosaur kale
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ground pepper to taste
- 2 handfuls dried cranberries or cherries
- 1 cup toasted or raw walnuts
- 1 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- salt to taste
- Start by destemming and ripping off the kale leaves; I shred them by hand and really give them a good massage before throwing them into the bowl to soften them up. Once this is all chopped, continue giving the kale a good massage to break down the roughness ( This seriously makes kale SO much better). Set aside.
- Mix all your dressing ingredients in a food processor or a Blendtec twister jar and process until smooth. You can pour this over your kale and give it a good mix. Set aside.
- Clean out your twister jar or food processor and throw in your Walnut Parmesan mix. Process just until it's a course meal.
- Mix your Salad/dressing with your walnut Parmesan and throw the cranberries in. It's best to let this salad marinate for 15 to 30 minutes and then serve.
If you loved this recipe, then give it a 5 star rating and leave a comment! I love to chat with you all. Please feel free to share on social media and tag #courtneyshomestead. I would love to see you over on Instagram or Facebook.
This recipe is not my original recipe. It's from an amazing blog I have followed for years. Her food is delicious and gorgeous, and you should definitely check it out! I have modified her recipe slightly, mainly decreasing the oil and changing the nut she uses. If you want to see the original recipe https://ohsheglows.com/2013/11/25/the-best-shredded-kale-salad/