These vegan chocolate sugar cookies require no chill time, are easy to make, and are delicious; they are perfect for the holidays. They make the perfect cut-out cookie for the chocolate lover in your life.
I have one of the best vegan regular sugar cookies recipes that people always enjoy, but I wanted to try making a chocolate version.
Because sometimes you want a chocolate sugar cookie instead of a regular one.
I love making new recipes out of old tried and true recipes.
These are great for any holiday baking like; Christmas cookies, valentine's day, Halloween, whatever your favorite holiday is to make cutout cookies.
I love that you can make these with vanilla frosting or chocolate frosting for an extra dose of chocolate. You can also use vegan royal icing for frosting that hardens.
I mean I know there are people in the world that don't like chocolate but I am certainly not one of them.
Can you make these vegan gluten-free chocolate sugar cookies?
Yes, if you use an all-purpose gluten-free flour mixture I think it would work just fine, I haven't tried it personally.
Can I chill the dough if I don't have time to roll them out?
Yes, you sure can.
Can you freeze these vegan chocolate cookies?
Yes, freeze in an airtight container frosted or not for up to 3 months. You need to flash freeze them first.
This means you put them in a single layer on a cookie sheet in the freezer, let them freeze and then you can stack them in the air-tight container and they won't stick together.
To unthaw put on a plate and let come to room temperature before covering with plastic wrap.
How do you store these?
These can be stored at room temperature for up to 5 days in an airtight container. I prefer them stored in the freezer if it will be more than a few days.
What if I don't have cookie cutters?
You can make these into balls and flatten them and they will still work fine. However, if I'm not doing a rollout cookie I would much prefer these double chocolate cookies.
What do you need for this vegan chocolate sugar cookie recipe?
- vegan butter, room temperature butter (like vegan country crock baking sticks or earth balance)
- white sugar (cane sugar)
- non-dairy milk (almond milk, soy milk, oat milk, whatever is your favorite)
- vanilla extract
- baking soda
- all purpose flour
- natural cocoa powder
- powdered sugar
- almond extract (optional)
How do you make the best chocolate sugar cookies vegan style?
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Take two large baking sheets and put either a Silpat on it or pieces of parchment paper or grease the pan well and set aside.
Get your stand mixer or electric hand mixer and a large bowl.
Cream your sugar and butter until smooth in the bowl of a stand mixer fixed with the paddle attachment on medium speed. .
Add the vanilla, and milk, stir at low speed until combined. Next, add your dry ingredients- baking powder stir, cocoa powder, add the 3 cups of flour and mix on low until smooth.
Take a Silpat or sheets of parchment paper, take a chunk of dough and place it on the prepared surface.
Take a decent-sized piece of plastic wrap and place it over your dough, get your rolling pin and now you're ready to roll.
The plastic wrap just makes it so the dough doesn't stick to the rolling pin.
Roll the chocolate sugar cookie dough out to your desired thickness, I like my sugar cookies a little bit thicker. Cut them out with your favorite cookie cutters and use a metal spatula to move the cut cookies to the prepared baking sheets.
The bake time will be around 6-9 minutes depending on the size of your cookie. Do not overbake. These should be soft. Let the cookies sit on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes before removing them to a cooling rack or wire rack to cool cookies. Repeat step 3 to finish the remaining dough.
Make your vegan frosting.
Take a small bowl and a hand electric mixer or the stand mixer and combine your frosting ingredients until smooth, you may need to scrap the sides of the bowl. Take the cooled cookies and frost them and decorate them as wanted.
I think it would be really fun to add mini vegan chocolate chips into these cookies for another pop of chocolate.
Want some other vegan cookie recipes?
Vegan Chocolate Sugar Cookies
- 1 stick vegan butter soft
- ¾ to 1 cup white sugar *If you want it a little sweeter add the additional ¼ cup
- 2 TB non-dairy milk
- ½ TB vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ cup flour
- 5 TB cocoa powder
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 TB vegan butter soft
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon almond extract optional
- 2 TB non-dairy milk
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Get your stand mixer or hand mixer. Cream your sugar and butter until smooth. Add the vanilla, and milk, stir. Next, add your baking powder stir, cocoa powder, add the 3 cups of flour and mix until smooth.
- Take a Silpat and take a chunk of dough and place it on the prepared surface. Take a decent-sized piece of plastic wrap and place it over your dough, now you're ready to roll. Roll the dough out to your desired thickness, I like my sugar cookies a little bit thicker. Cut them out with your desired cookie cutter and use a metal spatula to move them to a Silpat or greased cookie sheet.
- Cook for 6-9 minutes depending on the size of your cookie. Do not overbake. These should be soft. Let sit on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes before removing it to a wire rack to cool. Repeat step 3 to finish the remaining dough.
- Make your vegan frosting with a stand mixer or hand mixer and stir until fluffy.
- Once the cookies are cooled frost them.
If you loved this recipe then give it a 5 star rating and leave a comment! I love to chat with you all. Please feel free to share on social media and tag #courtneyshomestead. I would love to see you over on Instagram or Facebook.