This vegan Chex mix recipe is not only super simple to make but also tasty! You can customize it to your own liking. It has the perfect amount of seasoning mixture for this crunchy snack.
Around the holidays, Chex party mix is one of my kid's favorite snack foods.
I can see why it's an addictive snack for a good reason.
I much prefer to make a homemade version, so you can leave out all the "natural flavors" and artificial colors they put in the original recipe you buy from the store.
It's easy enough to make once you get the ingredients collected, plus you can make it your own, leaving out what you do and don't like.
My kids hate the rye chips that come in the storebought version, so I switch it out with something they love.
What are some good mix-ins for a delicious Chex mix?
- Chex cereal, of course
- vegan cheese crackers
- pretzels (pretzel sticks, regular, or balls, etc.) or gluten-free pretzels if needed
- pumpkin seeds
- bagel chips
Vegan Chex Mix Recipe Q&A
How long does homemade Chex mix last?
Homemade Chex mix will last for up to two weeks if it's stored properly in an airtight container.
Is chex mix dairy free?
Yes, the store-bought traditional recipe sold in stores is dairy free and vegan. This recipe is also.
Is it cheaper to buy Chex Mix or make your own?
Chex mix at the store is typically more expensive than making it on your own.
When your first purchase the ingredients, it will cost more upfront, but you will get a much bigger and more than one batch out of the homemade version.
Can I make Chex mix gluten free?
Yes, if you want to make it gluten-free, leave out the whole wheat Chex and add more of one of the other flavors and make sure all your mix-ins are gluten-free, and you'll be good to go.
Where do I find vegan Worcestershire sauce?
It used to be super difficult to find a vegan version but now more, and more brands are making the switch. I always get mine at Whole Foods; their store brand is vegan.
However, doing a little research, it looks like Annies is now vegan and some popular store brands. Always read labels.
What ingredients do you need to make chex mix vegan?
Check out the recipe link at the bottom of this post for the full recipe.
- corn Chex
- rice Chex
- whole wheat Chex
- mixed nuts of choice
- pretzels of choice
- 1 cup of choice *cheerios, corn nuts, bagel chips, whatever you like in your mix
- vegan butter, melted
- vegan Worcestershire sauce
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- seasoning salt
- smoked paprika
How do you make vegan Chex mix?
Preheat your oven to 250 degrees, grease a large baking sheet or two regular-size baking sheets or sheet pan, and set it aside. If you don't want to grease it, you can also line it with parchment paper.
Take a large bowl and combine your Chex cereal, nuts, pretzels, and whatever other snack mix combo you want to add; stir to combine.
Take a Pyrex glass measuring cup or a small bowl and melt the vegan butter.
Then add the Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, seasoning salt, and smoked paprika, and stir until combined.
Pour this mixture over the Chex mix mixture and stir until everything is coated.
Spread this mixture onto the baking sheets in a single layer
Bake in the oven for 60-90 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes, don't overcook or forget to stir it because it will burn.
Let it cool before placing it in an airtight container.
How do you serve this traditional Chex mix?
This is best served after it has time to cool completely, which gives time for the flavors to blend.
I actually prefer this the day after it's made.
This works great for the holiday season as homemade gifts. Who doesn't love delicious food as a treat?
How do you store Chex mix?
After the Chex mix has cooled completely to room temperature, you can store it in a large ziplock bag or an air-tight container on the counter for up to 2 weeks.
Can you freeze Chex mix?
I have never frozen the Chex mix, but according to my research, you can. Place it in a freezer-safe airtight container for up to 3 months.
I would pour it out on some parchment paper when I went to defrost it, so it doesn't get any liquid from the bag when it defrosts.
Want some other delicious vegan holiday recipes?
Vegan Chex Mix
- 3 cups corn Chex
- 3 cups rice Chex
- 3 cups whole wheat Chex
- 1 cup mixed nuts of choice
- 1 cup pretzels of choice
- 1 cup of choice *cheerios corn nuts, bagel chips, whatever you like in your mix
- 6 TB vegan butter melted
- 2.5 TB vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon seasoning salt
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Preheat your oven to 250 degrees, grease a large baking sheet or two regular size baking sheets and set it aside.
- Take a large bowl and combine your Chex, nuts, pretzels, and whatever else chip combo you want to add, stir to combine.
- Take a Pyrex glass measuring cup or a small bowl and melt the vegan butter then add the Worchesteri sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, seasoning salt and smoked paprika, stir until combined.
- Pour this mixture over the Chex mix mixture and stir until everything is coated. Spread this mixture onto the baking sheets in an even layer. Bake in the oven for 60-90 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes, don't over cook or forget to stir it because it will burn.
- Let cool before placing it in an airtight container.
If you loved this recipe, then give it a 5-star rating and leave a comment! I love to chat with you all. Please feel free to share on social media and tag #courtneyshomestead. I would love to see you over on Instagram or Facebook.
Tuesday 14th of February 2023
Reading your article helped me a lot, but I still had some doubts at the time, could I ask you for advice? Thanks.