This vegan ice cream cake recipe is rolled like a swiss roll so you get even amounts of cake and vegan ice cream. It’s delicious, and you can make it any flavor you want.
Vegan Ice Cream Cake
Everyone loves a good ice cream cake.
It took me a while to come up with the idea of an ice cream cake made like a swiss roll cake.
I know a swiss roll cake made into an ice cream cake isn’t a new idea, but making it vegan can be more challenging.
Most ice cream cakes have a more spongey cake that can roll easier. To get most cakes to roll easier, you need a fair amount of eggs.
Unfortunately, vegan eggs don’t do the same things in sponge cakes.
But that’s okay because I figured out another way to make it work.
How do you make a vegan swiss roll cake?
Cake pop style!
You make your regular cake base when it’s cooled, add frosting, so it’s moldable, and then you’re able to roll it up as you want.
What is the best vegan ice cream for ice cream cake?
I almost always use Ben and Jerry’s vegan ice cream when making ice cream cakes because they are just way too good.
However, there are SO many good vegan ice creams out there now.
- Ben and Jerry’s
- So Delicious
- Baskin and Robins (this would have to be picked up at their ice cream shop, but they are tasty!)
- Nada Moo
- Planet Oat
But feel free to use your favorite vegan ice cream or make your own if you have an ice cream maker and want to.
Do be careful with coconut milk based ice creams. They are good, but they typically have a strong coconut flavor which might not be what you’re looking for.
I left out a specific flavor on this ice cream cake because you can use any vegan ice cream flavor that works with chocolate.
Here are some ice cream flavor ideas to make this decadent dessert
- Oreo mint
- Mint chocolate chip
- Peanut butter oreo
- Chocolate cherry
- Cookie dough
- Strawberry ice cream
- any of the amazing vegan Ben and Jerry’s flavors.
How do you store an ice cream cake?
You want to make sure it’s double covered with plastic wrap, and no air can get to the freezer cake or, better yet, in an air-tight container.
Then place it in the freezer. I wouldn’t let it sit for more than three weeks, but you can always try it.
I worry that it could get freezer burn if you leave it for too long, and no one wants a freezer burn cake.
How do you refreeze an ice cream cake?
It’s best to pre-slice into a serving size, then take parchment paper pieces to separate the slices and place them into an air-tight container.
The parchment paper will help, so it doesn’t stick together when you’re ready to eat it again.
What’s the best way to soften ice cream for an ice cream cake?
There are a couple of ways to do this.
- Leave it on the counter at room temperature for 10-15 minutes.
- Let it sit in the fridge for 20-30 minutes.
- Microwave the ice cream on the defrost setting for 15 seconds, then recheck it, and do it again for another 10 seconds if needed
How do you travel with an ice cream cake?
If you have a birthday celebration or just want to bring an ice cream cake to a party, it’s best to do so with a cooler filled with ice.
Ice cream cake can melt pretty quickly, so if you need it to hold up a cooler with a lot of ice will be your ticket.
Homemade ice cream cakes tend to melt quicker than a store-bought one.
When should I take out my ice cream cake from the freezer for serving?
It’s best to remove it about 15-20 minutes before you’re ready to serve it. You can also stick it in the fridge for 30-40 minutes before you’re ready to serve.
If the cake starts melting stick it back in the freezer for a couple of minutes to refreeze.
The timing will depend on how warm it is. If it’s a hot summer day and your kitchen is hot, it will take less time. In that case, it’s probably a good idea to let it soften up in the fridge.
Here are some topping or filling ideas for your cake
Whether you want to decorate the top of the cake or put a little extra in the center of the cake, here are some ideas.
- vegan fudge for a fudge layer
- magic chocolate shell
- cookie crumbles like Oreos
- chopped chocolate
- vegan caramel
- fresh fruit
What ingredients do you need to make this vegan ice cream cake recipe?
- white sugar or cane sugar
- cocoa powder
- baking powder
- baking soda
- vegan milk
- vegan butter, melted
- vanilla extract
- boiling water
- instant coffee
- powdered sugar
- vegan chocolate chips
- Your favorite ice cream (vegan, of course)
How do you make this delicious vegan ice cream cake?
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Take a 9×13 pan and spray with cooking spray evenly, then sprinkle with cocoa powder to coat lightly, so the cake doesn’t stick, shake out the excess, and set aside.
Start by making the one bowl vegan chocolate cake.
Take a stand mixer with a large mixing bowl and add all the ingredients BUT the boiling water and instant coffee.
Mix on medium for 2 minutes.
Boil your half cup water, then add 1 tsp instant coffee stir.
Then stir this mixture into the cake batter until evenly distributed.
Pour the batter into the prepared 9×13 pan or cake pans; if that’s all you have, watch the baking time if using a cake pan; make sure it’s spread evenly.
Bake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean, don’t overbake. Let cool.
Make the vegan frosting that glues the cake together.
Make your frosting by combining the ingredients in a medium bowl; use a stand or hand mixer to whip the frosting until it’s combined and frosting consistency.
Take your ice cream out of the fridge and let it start getting soft.
Now combine the cooled cake and frosting and stir until it’s combined; use your clean, dry hands if you need to.
Take a piece of wax paper and place it on your counter, then take the cake mixture and press it into a big rectangle.
Use your hands to make sure it’s smashed together really well, so it doesn’t break when you try to roll it.
Now take your soft but not too melted ice cream and put a layer over the whole cake; the amount of ice cream you use will vary; I used 1 pint and about 1/4th of another pint.
Make sure it’s an even layer, then start rolling up using tight firm pressure. *See the pictures. Keep rolling until it’s into a swiss roll and pinch the bottom sides together.
Stick it in the freezer and make your ganache.
This is similar to rolling up a cinnamon roll.
Make your vegan ganache frosting.
Combing the ganache ingredients, cook for 30 seconds in the microwave, stir and cook for another 30 seconds. If it’s not melted, don’t overcook.
Take the cake, and you can either pour the ganache over the top or use a pastry brush to spread it.
Then stick in the freezer. Once frozen, you can cover it with saran wrap tightly, making sure air isn’t getting to it until ready to be served.
Let sit out for about 10-20 minutes before serving, so it’s easier to cut.
Want some other amazing vegan summer dessert recipes?
- Perfect Vegan Chocolate Cream Pie
- Easy Vegan Drumsticks Ice Cream
- Vegan No bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Lasagna
- Raspbery Lemon Vegan Trifle
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 TB vinegar
- 1 cup vegan milk
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, melted
- 1 TB vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 tsp instant coffee
Frosting for gluing the cake
- 2 TB vegan butter, soft
- 1 TB vegan milk
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 TB cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1 TB oil
- 2 TB vegan milk
- 1 1/4 pint of your favorite vegan ice cream
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Take a 9x13 pan and spray with cooking spray evenly, then sprinkle with cocoa powder just to coat lightly so the cake doesn't stick, shake out the excess, and set aside.
- Take a stand mixer and throw in all the ingredients BUT the boiling water and instant coffee.
- Mix on medium for 2 minutes.
- Boil your half cup water then add 1 tsp instant coffee, stir. Then stir this mixture into the cake batter until evenly distributed. Pour the batter into the prepared 9x13 pan, make sure it's spread evenly.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean, don't over bake. Let cool.
- Make your frosting by combining the ingredients in a medium bowl, use a stand or hand mixer to whip the frosting until it's combined and frosting consistency.
- Take your ice cream out of the fridge and let it start getting soft.
- Now combine the cooled cake and frosting and stir until it's totally combined, use your clean dry hands if you need to.
- Take a piece of wax paper and place it on your counter, then take the cake mixture and press it into a big rectangle. Use your hands to make sure it's smashed together really well so it doesn't break when you try to roll it.
- Now take your soft, but not too melted ice cream and put a layer over the whole cake, the amount of ice cream you use will vary, I used 1 pint and about 1/4th of another pint. Make sure it's an even layer then start rolling up using tight firm pressure. *See the pictures. Keep rolling until it's into a swiss roll and pinch the bottom sides together. Stick it in the freezer and make your ganache
- Combing the ganache ingredients cook for 30 seconds in the microwave, stir and cook for another 30 seconds if it's not melted, don't overcook.
- Take the cake and you can either pour the ganache over the top or I used a pastry brush to spread it. Then stick in the freezer, once frozen you can cover with saran wrap until ready to be served. Let sit out for about 10-15 minutes before serving so it's easier to cut.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 525Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 627mgCarbohydrates: 82gFiber: 3gSugar: 58gProtein: 6g
The calories are computer generated and may not be 100% accurate.
Here are some common questions about store-bought vegan ice cream cakes.
Does Dairy Queen have a dairy-free ice cream cake?
No, at this time, Dairy Queen only has one vegan option: a dilly bar. It’s pretty tasty, but sadly, it’s not a blizzard or ice cream cake.
Does Ben and Jerry’s have vegan ice cream cake?
Yes! It may vary per store, but they have an option to make a dairy-free ice cream cake on their website.
Does Baskin Robbins have vegan ice cream cakes?
No, they do not. They carry vegan ice cream, but their style of ice cream cake has a cake layer that is not vegan-friendly.
If you loved this recipe then give it a 5 star rating and leave a comment! I love to chat with you all. Please feel free to share on social media and tag #courtneyshomestead. I would love to see you over on Instagram or Facebook.