*This post may contain Amazon affiliate links, meaning if you choose to buy something off of one of my links, I may get a small compensation (at no extra cost to you). I will never recommend something I don't believe in.
Who doesn’t love a good dish of Mexican inspired beans and rice? I am a big fan of anything Mexican flavored. I have gone through a lot of boring beans and rice dishes in my day. This Mexican rice and beans is not that. It’s full of complex flavors and really give this dish a good flavor.
It has salsa to help with the flavor profile, so whichever salsa you choose, make sure you like the flavors. This has a high rating at the dinner table for the small ones, as long as your salsa isn’t too spicy.
We had these Mexican rice and beans dish several different ways, and I am not sure I can pick a favorite. It’s great with tortilla chips, in a burrito or taco, or just by it’s self. You could add vegan sour cream/cashew cream or avocado if you wanted to or even add it to a salad. It makes a large amount, so if you want to get crazy and serve this a different way for a couple nights out of the week, less cooking=less dishes= YES!
How do you like the eat your beans and rice? Let me know in the comments!
- 2 cups cooked white or brown rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- half chopped onion
- 2 cans black or pinto beans
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika or regular
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon Salt and Pepper
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon vegan mayonaise
- Rinse and drain your beans and set them aside.
- 2. Chop up your onions and saute them in 1 TB of oil for a few minutes, after a few minutes add the garlic. After about 30 seconds add your salsa. Let the salsa cook down for a few minutes.
- 3. Add your spices and additional 1 TB of oil and stir. Let those cook with the salsa for another few minutes. Then add your rinsed beans and stir. Let this simmer for about 15 minutes.
- 4. After the 15 minutes remove from heat- add your chopped cilantro and 1 TB of mayo, stir in until well distributed. Then add the cooked rice and stir well.
- This is excellent with chips as a dip, or in burritos, or as a burrito bowl.
This recipe was adapted from this recipe- https://simplegreenmoms.com/mexican-rice-beans/
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 143Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 401mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 4g
The calories are computer generated and may not be 100% accurate.
If you made this and enjoyed it, I would love to hear about it in the comments or #courtneyshomestead. Thanks so much for your support! <3 Courtney